Photo Credits~

(owl:donaldthompson95 on flickr, luna:BillLepidoptera/harkphoto.com on flickr, willow/fence:trensamiro on flickr, all remaining: Merana Leigh)

Psalm 25:4-5

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;

guide me in your truth and teach me,


for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long (NIV)





Drench yourself in words unspoken, Live your life with arms wide open,

Today is where your book begins, The rest is still unwritten. ("Unwritten" by Natasha Beddingfield)





It matters not how long we live, but how!



Saturday, October 16, 2010

Tying things together

I'm reading "Adventuring Through the Bible" by Ray Stedman, as I read different chapters in my Bible. It's a phenomenal book - full of insight and guidance for those areas that confuse me, and just his writing style lends itself to sitting down with a carrying mentor whom you can come to with questions. I highly recommend this book to anyone. I have found an online version of it here. Take the time to refer to it as you feel led to do. You won't be sorry.

Now....for what I got this past week from it, that tied in wonderfully with the message my pastor delivered last Sunday at church. I've almost finished reading Daniel now....what a book of faith and hope! Stedman writes the following about that book that I just felt led to share with you:

The evil of our age is subtle, but it is undeniably widespread and Satan-inspired. Good is more powerful. Its effect in human society in relationship to the evil around it is far greater than it ever has been before. These two contrasting forces are at work in human society, but neither shall overpower the other. Both good and evil are headed for a final conflict: The Bible records in various passages that, an one precise moment in history, God will directly intervene in human affairs.

Ultimately, ever nation and every individual serves God - willingly or not. Even if a great king renounces God ten times over, even if he sets himself against God, relentlessly and defiantly, God is sovereign, and He works all events, all human choices, all satanic chaos, into His perfect and beautiful plan. None...can resist the will of God nor interfere with the plan of God.

The choice that you and I have is a choice between being willing or unwilling tools in God's hand - whether we receive the blessings that come from obedience, or the judgment that issues from rebellion. Our God is a living God, and He is at work in the affairs of human beings and nations. We need not fear, even though the terrors of evil nations rise up around us. God controls everything, and we who walk with God will ultimately overcome.

Now, last week my pastor presented a message entitled "God's Cure for Fearing the Future", and he focused on Psalm 23:6 - Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever. Here are some highlights (I'm an avid notetaker during service!) ;o} ...

1. Bad things will happen in our lives...but good will follow. We can expect something good to come out of everything we face! Psalm 145:13b ~ The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.
2. Because of his omnipresence, God's already been in our future...so we have no need to fear it...because God will be there and he already knows what's coming. Romans 8:28 ~ We know that all that happens to us is working for our good IF we love God and are called according to His purpose. Not all things are good, but good will come (or referencing Ps. 23:6, good will follow).
3. Isaiah 60:10 ~ I will have mercy on you through my grace. Grace is the fact that God gives us what we need, not what we deserve!!! Psalm 103:10 ~ he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. Mercy is grace in action! When we understand grace and mercy, we "get" that we don't need to fear the future.

God is good...all the time. All the time...God is good!

11 comments:

  1. I love, love, love Ray Stedman! His legacy is extensive, as is the body of work he's left us online (Discovery Papers). I often use them for study, research, and prayerful ponderings.

    Love your insights here! Truly ours is a God worthy of trust, no matter what.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merana, I think this book might be on my "must have" list for Amazon, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, Merana. Often we don't understand why bad things happen in our lives and there are some things we won't understand this side of Heaven. However, God's word is the infallable truth and we can take comfort in knowing that He works ALL things for our good. Not a few things, not some things, not even many things, but ALL things.

    Thanks for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, my liste for books are getting longer and longer! Thank-you for sharing this book.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post Merana. It is really simliar to what I posted about. And I believe it...."bad things will happen but good will follow." He does come through....He really does. Have a great weekend. ☺☺☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never tire of hearing how God works in our futures for GOOD. I like to say that nothing surprises Him because "He's already lived my calendar!" This was a great post, Merana! (I have that book by Stedman - I agree, he's very good.)

    HAVE A BLESSED SUNDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so opportune today. If you get a chance to read my post today you'll see what I mean. Have a blessed Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, no matter what goes on in your lives God is good..and He works all out for our good...great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Merana,

    I enjoyed reading your insights on this topic. I believe that God wants to demonstrate Himself in my life if I look at my circumstances as opportunities for God to do good.

    I'm lift you and family up in prayer, thanking God for you.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merana, thanks for sharing this resource. Great insights you shared about facing our futures free of fear. We must keep His Word before us.

    ReplyDelete

Those who care to share...