Photo Credits~

(owl:donaldthompson95 on flickr, luna:BillLepidoptera/harkphoto.com on flickr, willow/fence:trensamiro on flickr, all remaining: Merana Leigh)

Psalm 25:4-5

Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;

guide me in your truth and teach me,


for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long (NIV)





Drench yourself in words unspoken, Live your life with arms wide open,

Today is where your book begins, The rest is still unwritten. ("Unwritten" by Natasha Beddingfield)





It matters not how long we live, but how!



Friday, September 24, 2010

Once again...it's all about the timing (Hidden Treasure #2)

Latest buried gem discovered out of nowhere:

Psalm 106:13-15 (NIV)
13 But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his counsel. 14 In the desert they gave in to their craving; in the wasteland they put God to the test. 15 So he gave them what they asked for, but sent a wasting disease upon them.

I've quoted C.S. Lewis before, but it just SO fits this Scripture..."There are those who say, 'God's will be done, and there are others to whom God says, 'Alright then, have it your way.'"

Waiting is probably the hardest thing we do as Christians. As members of the human race, I suppose we should all be considered toddlers: "I want what I want, and I want it NOW!" But like my friend, Sharon, commented in my previous post, we must remember that "waiting has something to teach me, too"!!

Psalm 19:21 (NIV) ~ Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.

As Marcia Hollis says in God Meets Us Where We Are, "We make our plans, tell God what we intend to do, and then travel for quite a while before we realize that he simply isn't with us! It isn't that he leaves us on purpose...or shows us who's really boss. It's just that in the rush and hurry to get something done, ... we leave him far behind, lost in the crowd."

Often this is how I think God must look at me:

"Again!?!" and, I've heard Him clear as day say to me: "Would you please stop getting in the way and interfering with the plans I have for you!?!!!"

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) ~ For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
I never really looked at it that way before, but I guess He certainly can't bring about those plans if we're always trying to do things our way, instead of waiting for His way... ;o} !!! (Ok, I know He doesn't look at me this way, really....probably more of a throw the hands up in the air, shake His head & say "there she goes again!")

Hollis continues, "If we try to go ahead of God's enabling Power, we will have to retrace our steps." We must remember ... Deuteronomy 31:8 (NIV) ~ The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."

It escapes our consciousness, I believe, that He has to work everything out along the line in order for everything to fall into place just right. He starts here ...

but there is much that needs to be done in order to get here....where He places the final piece of the intricate puzzle of our lives....us! It's rather like the interconnectedness we find here...


I rather like to pray as Henri J.M. Nouwen does, "Dear God, I am full of wishes, full of desires, full of expectations. Some of them may be realized, many may not, but in the midst of all my satisfactions and disappointments, I hope in you. I know that you will never leave me alone and will fulfill your divine promises. Even when it seems that things are not going my way, I know that they are going your way and that, in the end, your way is the best way for me. O Lord, strengthen my hope, especially when my many wishes are not fulfilled. Let me never forget that your name is Love. Amen."

Strengthen my hope indeed .... Romans 8:24b-25 (NIV) ~ But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.


And remember .... Hebrews 6:18-19 (NIV) ~ ... it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.

And just as Elisa Morgan said in I'm Tired of Waiting!,
"God is worthy to be trusted and believed, even when he appears inactive."


Please join us for Spiritual Sundays! You will find such an abundance of His grace here!

15 comments:

  1. It is so nice to meet you through Spiritual Sundays Merana Leigh. This is a great post on learning to be patient and seeking the will of God. You have included some of my favorite verses. I hope you enjoy many blessings this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Merana,

    I find this to be an uplifting and encouraging message of faith, patience and trust in God.

    I'm discovering the truth in God's word on patience. It's not easy for others to understand when you appear to be in a holding pattern, but I believe it is better to wait than act without the Lord's guidance.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very good post, with great scripture instructions from our Lord that need to be tucked away in our hearts. Waiting is sooo hard...I often get ahead of God on our journey!
    I needed this reminder today. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your use of the lovely graphics and pictures to illustrate the message. Yes, if we will just get out of the way, HE will accomplish what He wants in each of our individual lives. We are like little children saying, "I can do it myself!!!" when we cannot. BUT HE WILL ACCOMPLISH HIS PLANS AND PURPOSES.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy, isn't it a temptation to just make plans and try to carry them out not knowing if it is something that will be pleasing to God or not. Some times we are pretty sure what we're planning is not in accordance with His will but we want what we want. It takes time, discipline, prayer and patience. God knows if we really want him to be in charge or if we want to be in charge of our own lives.
    Thank you for sharing this thoughtful post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I make my way around cyberspace, and even as I make my own way in daily devotions, this seems to be a prevalent and over-riding teaching of the Lord. I've come to believe that once we really grip that He IS worthy, the trusting comes much easier.

    Great post.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of good lessons here. It is so hard for me to wait patiently, but I know that is often what God wants me to do. To trust him and his timing, not my own. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh Merana, this was so much what I needed to read. I've been struggling with waiting. I get so impatient...and when something gets into my head...I want to dash out and make it happen...this post was sooo perfect for me. Thank you soo much for writing it. have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, God is worthy. :) Sometimes I have felt as if He weren't here, but I know He is...because He said so. =) I like that about God. He keeps His Word. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ... another great message you've gifted us! This reminds me of that Garth Brooks' song, "I thank God for unanswered prayers." Indeed, Father knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Merana Sweetie...
    What a beautiful share this morning. Patience, yes patience, something I was not born with a lot of.

    Being sick this year, this has helped me to learn about patience. You know when they sometimes God knocks your feet right out from under you to make you listen, that is what he did with me. I am listening Lord, yes I am listening.

    You hit the nail on the head for almost all of us today sweet friend. Thank you for the most beautiful share. Hope you are having a blessed weekend.

    Many hugs and so much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merana,.
    first time here. I just wanted to stop by and thabnk you for your comment on Sassy's post and your refferal to the post at the Narrow Way. I was so spiritually endued with her post. It sealed understandindg in my 'season'. I am mosst grateful to you and her for that gift today.

    Then I read your post and it is just a continuing on... of her post. Great minds think alike :)

    I liked what you quoted from Marcia Hollis -

    "We make our plans, tell God what we intend to do, and then travel for quite a while before we realize that he simply isn't with us! ....."

    What I gleamed from the post a The Narrow Way - was that when it seems that God's GRACE is not with us - it could be, as suggested here, that it was not His plan in the first place - or... that His Grace is no longer on the current season as we see it. His GRACE has moved to another season for us....and it is our job to recognize when His grace is lifted from a current season - or - was never on it in the first place - so that we can join Him in the new. We will always be under God's Grace as long as we 'Follow' Him. His plan - His way - His perfect timing!

    I loved reading your wisdom walk with the Lord today. and again - thank you for encouraging on 'The Narrow Way' today....literally! :)

    Patrina <")>><

    ReplyDelete
  13. Often this is how I think God must look at me:
    Hey! that little cartoon dude reminds me of someone I know? - ME! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merana, waiting on God, has and still is very hard for me. Though I don't like to admit it. I have found that the times I did wait everything was so in order and on time.
    Thank you for sharing such a timely, and inspiring post,
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merana:

    This has been a wonderful visit on your pages this morning. I browsed through and read the one on "My Home"... it was compelling, your honesty hits such a chord in my own heart. Thank you so much for the beautiful sharing!

    Hugs!

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete

Those who care to share...